The Monday Morning Teaser

A chunk of this week’s Sift is already up: “Donnie in the Room“, a poetic retelling of the TrumpCare debacle modeled on “Casey at the Bat“. It seemed more likely to find readers if it came out quickly, so I posted it Saturday morning, and then added an afterword about “Casey” Sunday afternoon. (Also, whenever I get such a crazy idea in my head, I am possessed by the notion that everyone must have thought of this, so I have to be sure to get mine out first.)

By the way, if you find yourself in an inter-generational conversation, an interesting topic is to compare notes on the poems you remember from school. “Casey”, for example, was ubiquitous in my day, but seems to be taught only rarely now. Young people do seem familiar with Poe’s “The Raven“, and I forgot to ask about “The Man Who Wasn’t There“. (Mysteriously, I can’t find anyone of any age who remembers Oliver Wendell Holmes’ clever “The Wonderful One-Hoss Shay“. That’s Holmes senior, the judge’s father, who in the 19th century was one of the best-known poets in America.)

Anyway, go read “Donnie” if you haven’t already; I’m pleased with it. This was another week of too-much-news, so even with a featured post out already, it will take me until 11 or so to post the weekly summary.

Comments

• weeklysift  On March 27, 2017 at 7:13 am

The youngsters, for their part, will look at you with pity if you only know a few lines out of Hamilton.

• Marte  On March 27, 2017 at 7:28 am

Donnie in the Room is splendid! I put the link to your site on my fb page and many of my friends enjoyed it. Thanks!

• Larry Benjamin  On March 27, 2017 at 7:29 am

I certainly am familiar with “The Wonderful One-Hoss Shay,” but then, I’m an English lit major. I’ll have to ask a youngster if they’re familiar with “The Raven;” I sure hope they are.

• Roger Owen Green  On March 27, 2017 at 9:03 am

“Donnie” is brilliant. I thought all Simpsons fans knew “The Raven”.

• Kate Camp  On March 27, 2017 at 11:52 am

“Donnie” is a hit. Shared widely to great reviews. Thanks!

• Renee Fraser  On March 27, 2017 at 1:53 pm

I think I got you a few more fans by sharing ‘Donnie in the Room’. Thanks for the clever and funny poem. I keep reading it.